Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Working Through That Nasty Anxiety Thing

I found myself feeling anxious yesterday afternoon for no particularly good reason and it took me a while to sort it out. I used to feel anxious quite a lot but over the last few years that whole tendency seems to be diminishing. I don't know if it's because exercise tends to help me blow off a lot of that kind of steam or if the whole process of having gone through that weight loss and battling the Demons of Overeating made me better able to handle it. Or - maybe I'm just getting older and I don't give that much of a s*** about certain things any more. Yesterday, I sat myself down - well I was already sitting but you know what I mean - and said what are you worrying about now? Well, it's XYZ thing at work. Can you do something about it? Yes, I can make a phone call or two. Why aren't you dialing? OK, fine, I'll dial already.

So I did that and lo and behold sorted that little problem out in a rather tidy way. But still anxious. OK, another sit down. Well, I think I am worried about ABC thing. Can you do anything about it? No, not really, it's more of a Mommish generalized worry about my son and how he's doing and etc. OK, so can you just let HIM handle his own life and just tell him you love him and let it be? Sigh.

What I find interesting about this is that sometimes, if I can sort through those little worries, I sometimes find something that really does need attention. I was getting those little worried feelings about my car - and when I acted on that and took it to the mechanic, it did need some work on the fuel system, nothing major, but still.

The other thing I've found is that I can call myself anxious when actually I probably shouldn't have had that second cup of coffee. Ha ha.

1 comment:

Griselda said...

I agree...following our intuition is a great help.
Looking forward to visiting your blog again.