Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Ordinary

One of the books I'm reading at the moment - the one I have here in my office for lunch time* - is a thoughtful work on creativity:  The Widening Stream by David Ulrich. 

I love this quote:  "The world is interesting and becomes far more so as we closely observe things, people (including ourselves), and events, and contemplate their significance.  Once again, heightened awareness becomes a transforming agent for ourselves and our work.  through the action of directing our attention, we revel in the commonplace; the ordinary becomes extraordinary."

Here's another, that I highlighted with a question mark.  "The creative act, regardless of how it takes shape, is one of service and devotion to the world."  What do you think of that idea?  Is that so for you?




* Yes, I know maybe just reading or just eating could be a better choice.  Sometimes I do both.

No comments: